Sunday, November 16, 2008

Question the Second

If you knew you could devote yourself to any single occupation- music, writing, acting, business, politics, medicine, etc.- and be among the best and most successful in the world at it, what would you choose? If you knew you only had a 10 percent chance of being so successful, would you still put in the effort?

Of the options listed, I'd want to be the best at writing. I like writing, and there's a lot about it that appeals to me- not the least of which is the fact that writing lasts, in one way or another. It's a record that says, "I've been here," or, "I thought this." And when people read it, they carry that little bit around with them. That's right: by reading this, you are making me immortal. Good job. As for what I would do if there were only a 10 percent chance of acheiving worldwide fame- of course I'd put in the effort. Those are better odds than I'd get anywhere else!

4 comments:

Trisha said...

Ditto. :)

Paul Richardson said...

The second question, as you say, is easy: Yes. I mean, What else is there to do with our time on this planet except try.

The first question: Politics. But only if by "most successful in the world" you are referring to actual policy-making, not randomly winning the ideal office.

Brandon said...

Policy making? More than winning? Once again, you've completely turned my view of politics upside down!

Paul Richardson said...

:)

Speaking of success. Malcolm Gladwell's new book (from what chapters I've read in bits and pieces) provides some interesting fodder on the subject